(Vegan) Strawberry Bread

Friday, April 22, 2016
I planted my annual mini garden in my backyard.  I use the word garden very lightly.  I take the pots from last year full of the dead plants that didn't make it past June, dump the rotted plant, add a little more dirt, and plant something new....which, if history repeats itself, will die by June.
I love strawberry plants because if they never produce fruit, they have cute little white flowers.  This year we've been flooded with rains.  Apparently my strawberries are a big plan of rain because strawberries have sprung forth in all shapes and sizes.  I discovered my dog enjoys a nice strawberry.  She checks these plants regularly.  I've moved two of the three higher so I have a chance.  I plucked some the other day and got to work.  I didn't quite have enough to have this recipe fully from my stash, but....quite a few were....I also made it vegan (by subtracting the eggs) so that I could share it with my brother...he's very thin and can consume more calories without the guilt I feel.  I've found different sweet breads are easy to go vegan because the substitutes really blend well.  In many cases it actually makes it even better than the original-try it!
So...if your strawberries are sprouting like mine, or if you have some that are about to go bad in the fridge and you want to do a little something with that carton, this is a delicious recipe!  I adapted the original recipe from allrecipes (based on suggestions from other reviewers).
(Vegan) Strawberry Bread
Ingredients: 4 c fresh strawberries (cut into small chunks), 3 1/8 c flour, 2 c. sugar, 1 T of cinnamon (scant, don't overfill, or it will over power), 1 t. salt, 1 t. baking soda, 1 c vegetable oil, 1 1/4 c. chopped pecans, and to make it vegan-1 banana mashed, 2 T flax seed, 6 T of water, 2 pinches of baking soda
*If you don't want to go vegan, skip the banana, flax seed, and water, and just add 4 eggs. 
Instructions:
1.  Preheat oven to 350.  Butter and flour 2 9x5 loaf pans.  
2.  Place the flaxseed, and 6 T of water into a bowl and let it sit for 30 minutes.  After 30 minutes add 2 pinches of baking soda.
3.  Sprinkle cut strawberries with sugar and set aside.  
4.  Combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, salt, and 1 t. baking soda.  Add in oil, mashed banana, and flaxseed.  
5.  Add strawberries and pecans.  
6.  Place in pans and cook for 50 min (test to see if the center is still wet).  Cool and slice.  

*There are many egg substitutes, but I like to do a mix of banana and flax seed so it's not too nutty and the banana doesn't overpower the taste.  You can mix it up to your taste.  1 banana=2 eggs, and 1 T of flax seed mixed with 3 T of water and a pinch of baking soda substitutes for 1 egg.  I find with breads the flax seed helps it rise, and the banana helps keep it moist.  

No comments